Saturday, December 15, 2012

Finale

So, at the beginning of this blog, I said I would go over the role constructions play in our lives, and at the end, decide whether or not the reader, or the other exists, along with other aspects of external reality. Now that this blog is at it's end, I would like to make my statement.

My answer to the question of the existence of the other is that yes, other people exist, and an external reality that is partially knowable exists, but we must always be skeptical about what parts of reality we take to be objective and external, as opposed to subjective and internal.

I believe the other exists because language is a social construct, the reasons for language to be invented all rely on the existence of multiple individuals. My senses tell me as well that the other exists, therefore, until proven otherwise, I will accept that the reader of the blog does actually exist.

As for external reality, I believe in the correspondence theory of truth, where our knowledge is determined by an external, knowable universe. In other words it acts like a mirror, where our knowledge is the mirror that reflects the external reality. However, I believe that reality acts more like a fun-house mirror, where constructions distort and warp the layout of the mirror, making what is reflected blotchy and inaccurate. Saying this though, most of the time a person can still tell what is reflected in a funhouse mirror despite the distortions, so we still know what is being reflected. The only differences is that our funhouse mirrors might not give us a good grasp on the true reality since we can't get past the warping.

No comments:

Post a Comment