Sunday, December 9, 2012

On one's namesake

So, this was an idea that I toyed with throughout the weekend. Can a name construct an individual? For example, one continually hears the phrase "Oh, he looks like a Dave" or "Wow, I you just seem like a Griffin." I am starting to wonder how one's name influences one's personality and demeanor. This isn't only with first names. One's last name carries a lot of power. Being a Kennedy can influence the development of one's sense of being, or one's personality. Therefore, can it not be guessed that the name "John" or "Ashley" influences one's development as well?

"Bring honor to the family name!" and "The (Insert last name here) come from a proud, noble lineage" can certainly fill one's being with a sense of honor or purpose, but what does the first name bring to the construction of the self? I would argue that the first name can determine how a person acts by molding their personality to the person's own expectations on how a David, or a Susan should actually act. They get this impression through indirect societal standards.

For example, one imagines the name of Albert to be a very intelligent name because of it's relation to Albert Einstein. Therefore a person named Albert might try to do well in school to 'live up to' his namesake.

This is just a brain thought of mine. If you wish to critique it, please do.

1 comment:

  1. Griffin,

    I really like this post because it is something I have thought about a lot too. Often, I look at people and try to guess what their names are based on their outward appearances and characteristics, which is kind of silly come to think of it now. This is a very interesting idea and I am glad you posted about it! It has inspired me to elaborate with my experiences and thoughts in my blog later today.

    ReplyDelete